Sorry for the cross-post, but I thought both these lists might have advice to offer.

I just dusted off an app I'd worked on several months ago. It used to work fine (prior to 10.5.6), but now it behaves very erratically. I'm not blaming 10.5.6 necessarily, it's just that's all I can think of that might have changed.

Basically, it uses NSFileHandle on a serial port to get notified when data is available. The data is coming in at 9600 baud. It parses the packets, then sends the packets to some code that graphs the values. I've been able to determine that valid data is coming in fairly frequently, and the packets are parsing correctly. This ends up calling -setNeedsDisplay: on my view, but the view's draw code is only called once in a very long while (30 seconds or more, but sometimes it'll get called faster).

There is also a view that shows the raw bytes, and it, too, updates only when the graph view updates.

I tried running Shark, but I'm not very good at using it or interpreting the results. It seems to spend 49% of the time on __semwait_signal, and 50% of the time in the read routine (with a lot of the time going to makeKeyAndOrderFront, for some reason).

Like I said, this used to work pretty flawlessly, and now it's very unhappy. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks!

--
Rick