On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:21:35, A.M. wrote:

What is likely happening is that the NSFileHandle processing is starving the main NSRunLoop. This happens because NSRunLoop processes non-user input before it processes user events (which seems backwards for the main run loop but is nevertheless the case). The only solution is to use a secondary runloop on a second thread to process the data, then safely get that info back to the main thread and trigger redrawing. You should likely process the data on the second thread as well so that the main thread is completely free for user events.

I have no explanation of why it should suddenly "not work" other than that data is probably flowing in faster or requires more processing.

If anything, data is coming in more slowly. I used to run it at 115200, now it's at 9600. I may be able to get one of my other MBPs to run 10.5.5, and try it there.

--
Rick