On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:46PM, Brian Slick wrote:

It starts to occur to me that I don't actually want an instance, I want the real deal.

On Jan 31, 2009, at 9:31AM, Brian Slick wrote:

It may be a nonsensical statement here (good to know), but in the 3D CAD world that I'm used to, which I have been leveraging in my attempts to understand OOP, there is a distinction between instances and the source item.

A working knowledge of 3D CAD programs does not translate directly into the learning of OOP concepts. In a 3D CAD assembly you could have a master object and multiple instances of that object. In OOP you have classes, instances, and pointers. Not exactly the same thing. I would recommend you forget about 3D CAD for a while and concentrate on the fundamentals of C and Objective-C. Best of luck.

Richard