From: Andrew Farmer [mailto:andf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 12:56 PM
To: Valentin Dan
Cc: Cocoa Developers
Subject: Re: autentification problem

On 02 Feb 09, at 02:32, Valentin Dan wrote:
> I have paths like: \\10.1.1.11\SomeFolder\FileName.jpg
> <file:///\\10.1.1.11\SomeFolder\FileName.jpg> . I tested the path on
> Windows in InternetExplorer and it pops up a Login dialog. After
> authentication the picture is loaded and all further requests are ok.
> How can I get this behavior on Mac (Firefox / Safari / any other
> browser)?

Short version: You can't.

<file:///\\10.1.1.1\SomeFolder\FileName.jpg> isn't a valid file: URI;
the fact that it works in Internet Explorer on Windows is more by
mistake than by design. You can create smb://share/path URIs that
ALMOST work similarly, but they aren't recognized by the URL Loading
framework or by Firefox.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you can try writing your
own NSURLProtocol subclass to handle these types of URIs natively.
However, note that:

  1. Your code doesn't affect other applications, so Safari (and other
browsers) won't gain the benefit of your subclass without ugly hacks.

  2. Your code won't affect Firefox at all, because it uses its own
URL loading framework.

  3. Samba is ugly code. Massively, incredibly ugly. It is not fun to
work with. However, you'll probably have to dig deep into it to
implement this sort of thing. Have fun.