So I had a chance to look at the docs (rather than going off my memory):

In the Runtime Configuration Guidelines you'll find the definitions
for these keys:

LSBackgroundOnly

LSBackgroundOnly (Boolean) specifies whether this application runs
only in the background. If this key exists and is set to "1", Launch
Services runs the application in the background only. You can use this
key to create faceless background applications. You should also use
this key if your application uses higher-level frameworks that connect
to the window server, but are not intended to be visible to users.
Background applications must be compiled as Mach-O executables. This
option is not available for CFM applications.

LSUIElement

LSUIElement (String). If this key is set to "1", Launch Services runs
the application as an agent application. Agent applications do not
appear in the Dock or in the Force Quit window. Although they
typically run as background applications, they can come to the
foreground to present a user interface if desired. A click on a window
belonging to an agent application brings that application forward to
handle events.

The Dock and loginwindow are two applications that run as agent applications.

--
Mark Munz
unmarked software