I need a "collection of views" to display subviews of nonequal heights, like this:

--------------------------------------
This item happens to have 3 text boxes
This item happens to have 3 text boxes
This item happens to have 3 text boxes
--------------------------------------
This item happens to have 1 text boxes
--------------------------------------
This item happens to have 5 text boxes
This item happens to have 5 text boxes
This item happens to have 5 text boxes
This item happens to have 5 text boxes
This item happens to have 5 text boxes

It seems that NSCollectionView does not support variable item frame sizes like this, because it is hard-wired to arrange items in a 2- dimensional grid. Could someone please confirm that?

Is there any basic documentation like a "Collection View Programming Guide", covering NSCollectionView and friends? I've not been able to find any.

I believe NSTableView has the same restriction of equal row heights. Is that correct?

So I was thinking I'd write my own "collection view class" which would basically be an NSView containing an array of subviews. Does anyone have a better approach?

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock