On Feb 9, 2009, at 8:51 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
Okay, so at this point I guess I need to establish just what's going
on.  Does PDFView refer to a view containing the enclosing scroll
view, or perhaps the scroll view itself?

For better or worse, the PDFView is the enclosing view ... but as you describe there is a nested scrollview and deeper still the document view.

When the document view gets a -[drawRect:] call it determines the visible pages (based on the PDFView display layout, and position of the scroller, zoom, etc.) and then calls PDFView's -[drawPage:] for each visible page.

-[PDFView drawPage:] was put in PDFView as a convenience so it can be overriden in a subclass of PDFView. The default implementation of this method calls -[PDFPage drawWithBox:] for the page in question.