My first reaction to such a feature was same as your point, but I can't help the way it is.

I took it for granted to implement it anyway and save some time from arguing about the design.

I'l give a background why the requirement demand is so evil.
replace "AppY" with one of those applications from Adobe , like InDesign , using a plugin we were able to put in the menu to show this panel.
It acts as the Information Panel from the AppX.

That was a dead end discussion and I have to put the said thing in action , thats the reason I was asking for "Workaround" but not for the "Solution" instead.

Thanks
~Rajesh