On Feb 19, 2009, at 2:18 PM, James Montgomerie wrote:

Returning to this months-old thread... Apologies for the length of the mail, I thought it best to summarise what went before.

I now have shipping iPhone OS apps and during all my tests and analyzing things in Instruments (connected to real hardware), I didn't see a reason to put the proposed code in.

Perhaps this is just how I've coded things, but I've seen views get unloaded and reloaded perfectly without any leaks. This included my "main" screen view that was currently on the bottom of a nav controller stack (not the current view). When I popped the current screen, it was appropriately re-loaded. All IBOutlets re-wired, etc.

My dealloc code is doing stuff like:

self.someIBOutlet = nil;
self.someOtherIvar = nil;
[super dealloc]

I'm _definitely_ not trying to be argumentative or propose that others avoid the "proper" solution. Just wanted to point out that in my real- world situation, I just haven't had the need for it.