Alex Kac wrote:

That may be true - but many people would be overjoyed if an app would
offer to install itself into an appropriate place. Sometimes people
are cluttered because they don't have someone to help. If an app
offered to help - just once - I don't see that as an intrusion, but a
more Mac-like feature. Its not intrusive.

To which I reiterate my prior comment: For more than a year now, Apple has been recommending the use of installer packages for all deployments. So provide an installer, default to /Applications and allow for alternate locations if your app isn't broken enough that it actually needs to be in /Applications.