On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Andy Lee wrote:

On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Richard Good wrote:
Thanks for looking at the code. I tried to simplify things for the example so I removed as much as possible (maybe too much) that I thought was not directly relevant. However making all of your suggested changes and maybe an extra retain or two, still yields an "Out of scope" problem in the debugger. In fact at NO time during the initialization does the debugger show the super types NSDate's instance variable in scope.

Hm, come to think of it, although your code did have a bad memory bug (which could have led to a crash later on), in my test I think aDate was still pending autorelease so that didn't explain the "out of scope". Also, I was assuming you're not using garbage collection, which may not be true. I'm afraid I don't know what the actual explanation is.

Come to think of it, I'm guessing it has to do with the fact the NSDate is a class cluster.

--Andy