I've actually found a workaround - it seems that if I use Obj-C 2.0 style properties the objects somehow get released earlier than they should.

in my example I used the code:
self.delegate = tDelegate
where tDelegate is the delegate supplied through the method call.
However, if I just use:
delegate = tDelegate
the script runs fine without a hitch...

it must have something to do with the self.delegate property being set to retain or something?
maybe it's causing the nsautoreleasepool to release early?