Hello list,

Last few days I was trying to understand how symbol fonts (wingdings,
webdings X, etc) should be properly handled with cocoa text system. As
a good example could be Adobe Photoshop and Apple Pages. Both behaves
in the same way and I want to achieve the same result.
For example if I choose Wingdings font and type "PO", I see two flag
symbols. If I change font to any other (Arial, Times, Helvetica etc.)
I see characters I have entered by keyboard layout (PO). Also, If I
copy text while Wingdings font is selected, and paste it to another
app, I am getting "PO".
Searching through the list gave me few ideas. But none of them I found
very useful. One of them is to map characters to different codes (by
adding 0x00F000). This works, but I doubt this is correct way, because
that brakes copy/paste mechanism and when converting back to
Arial/Times.. symbols needs to be remapped again. Unless this could be
done in auto way. I think only glyphs should be used from font and
mapping should be done by text system. The problem is - I have no idea
how to do that.

Any help is appreciate.

P.S. default behavior is like TextEdit: say we have "PO" and after
choosing Wingdings font is changed to default Lucida Grande.

Best Regards,

Rimas M.