Hi Rimas,

Last few days I was trying to understand how symbol fonts (wingdings,
webdings X, etc) should be properly handled with cocoa text system. As
a good example could be Adobe Photoshop and Apple Pages. Both behaves
in the same way and I want to achieve the same result.

Probably the best thing to do is to 'forget about it' and let cocoa text do it's stuff. I will try and explain.

Many symbol fonts have symbols that exist in different parts of the unicode space. So, for example, there is an area of Unicode that is used for dingbats symbols. To enter a dingbat symbol you should use the "Character Palette" input method. You can turn this input method on in the International section of the System Prefs. With this palette open you can locate the dingbat and click on it. This is the way that these things are generally done in Unicode. Wingdings is, if I remember correctly a bit strange as it is part of the roman character space.

This way of doing things is consistent and works across applications - so if you enter text like this, with these characters, in text edit and then paste them into your own app it will work fine. I would not recommend changing character codes as the UI will be strange and different from other applications.

Best regards

Alan Shouls