On Mar 10, 2009, at 10:46 AM, I. Savant wrote:
 Unfortunately this is true. Not just for frameworks, but any
plug-ins those frameworks might load.

 A new, small internal project started awhile back seemed like the
perfect opportunity to try out GC in a production app. This app used
QTKit, but users needed the Flip4Mac plug-in to work with WMA files.
At the time (I have no idea about now), any time QuickTime tried to
load the Flip4Mac plug-in, it would die horribly. I reverted to good
old-fashioned memory management for two reasons:

Generally, a GC incompatibility shouldn't die a horrible death. If a plug-in load is attempted and the plug-in's GC configuration mismatches the application, dyld will refuse to load it. The one 'hole' is a pure-C plug-in that makes calls that trigger GCisms in contexts where they shouldn't be; this is relatively rare, but QT plug-ins is a known source of such issues.

The code needs to be compiled with GC enabled so that the correct write barrier and layout information is emitted. And, of course, it needs to be tested.

If you run across plug-ins that cause issues, you can do two things to help address the issue:

(1) file a bug at http://bugreport.apple.com/ to make ADC/DTS aware of the incompatibility

(2) give some feedback to the folks that make the plug-in that indicates that you need GC support

b.bum