On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Darren Minifie <minof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't somebody write a small app and and profile it to get a conclusive
> answer?  I'd do it but I'm lazy.  I am interested in the outcome though.

Just run Activity Monitor and look at one of the numerous idling GUI
apps. Notice how it uses 0% CPU.

The notion that adding a timer to a runloop would somehow cause that
runloop to suck up CPU time when the runloop is idle is nonsensical.
The whole point of the runloop is that it sleeps the process until
some activity is required. A background process sitting on a timer
*will* take up various resources (memory, file descriptors, kernel
structures, etc.) but CPU time is not among them.

Mike