Adam;

I'm an ObjC guy -- I generally avoid the C stuff if possible - 'cause I have to support my own code.

But your method seems like it will work not only as a replacement but actually a doorway to the full gamut of common metadata attributes - very nice!!

I know I should lose the resistance but there are only so many mountains one guy can climb...

Thanks for the very helpful note!
Steve