Hi List,

I hit a stumbling block when passing large files (multi-GB) to NSXMLParser. It appears that NSXMLParser's initWithContentsOfURL: method loads the contents of the entire file into memory, which is causing virtual memory thrashing for at file sizes approaching my physical RAM (2 GB in this case, so I start seeing performance issues at around 1.3 GB). After reading the CFXMLParser documentation, I suspect that core foundation does the same thing.

Can somebody suggest an alternative API for parsing xml that does not have memory requirements linear with file size for the initialization? Given the event-driven design I originally imagined that the parser would read through a file incrementally, without loading it all into memory.

Also, would it be appropriate to file a bug / enhancement request for this issue?

Note that once the NSXMLParser delegate starts receiving messages, I am able to keep memory usage under control by giving the delegate its own autorelease pool and draining/replacing it once every x calls to parser:didStartElement....

I started looking into libxml2 but then thought I'd ask here first. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

George