Hi Marcel,

that's quite impressive. On the simulator on my machine, it took 0.007 seconds, consistently. Learned something new with your message. Thanks!

Wagner

On Apr 16, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Marcel Weiher wrote:

I would do the following:

1. map the file into memory using -[NSData dataWithContentsOfMappedFile:] (or mmap() if you really want to)
2. Do not convert to individual objects for the words
3. get the pointer to the raw bytes
4. search using a little bit of plain old C (assuming you're OK with encodings)

Memory mapping will be essentially instantaneous, with the I/O performed on-demand when its actually needed (or you can pre-heat the data, for example in a background thread). More importantly, you will be doing good things for memory consumption, because the mapped memory can be released to the OS without having to kill your app in low-memory situations (without paging it out on Mac OS X, but the iPhone doesn't page memory out).

I added an implementation of this approach to the testing program provided by Wagner (thanks!) and it loads + counts the words in 0.084 seconds on the device. That's anywhere from around 50 - 100 times faster than the other methods implemented in DictTest (plist / xml / txt ). On the simulator, it runs in 0.043 seconds, so around 30-40 times faster than the other methods.

Download can be found here:

        http://www.metaobject.com/downloads/Objective-C/DictTest.tgz

You mentioned that you were OK with search performance, so I won't go into that.

Cheers,

Marcel