Sorry, Wagner, I'm a little spaced -- I didn't realize your test included
getting the contents into an array! This is great.

Here are some VERY interesting results. The simulator seems to be faster
with bin and text, while the device is quite a bit slower with text, and
about even with bin and xml.

*From simulator:*
bin 0.206031, 0.231285
xml 0.479002, 0.433691
txt 0.296232, 0.213713

*From device:*
bin 5.760234, 5.628642, 6.457935, 5.068025
xml 5.651398, 5.428460, 5.525060, 5.096705
txt 8.951027, 8.817826, 8.784503, 8.539374

Thanks again, Wagner! I guess I'll see how it goes with plist.