On Apr 20, 2009, at 00:16, Graham Cox wrote:

The save dialog shows the format pop-up automatically if you declare in your info.pList that you export multiple types. Presumably it also takes care of everything else too - you just need to set up the pList and respond to the type passed to your document's - daatOfType:error: method which will depend on what the user chose.

Ah, I didn't know that. If I did, I would have mentioned that this is actually for an Export As... dialog, so that the file types are by definition not in info.plist.

I did actually get the popup to work via a NSViewController subclass for an accessory view, and calling setAllowedFileTypes: while the dialog is displayed works just fine.

But one annoying problem remains. When exporting files (at least in my case) it's highly desirable for some formats to get a suffix on the default filename (specifically, because some of the formats require creating a folder of stuff instead of a file, and an extension on the folder isn't desirable at all), but there appears to be no way to change the filename while the dialog is displayed. There's no setFilename method, and no delegate method that appears to allow the filename to be changed.