I notice that the current HIG recommends the use of a file format popup in the Save dialog, when an application supports multiple formats:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/XHIGMenus.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000356-TPXREF105

and the picture of the Save dialog seems to suggest that the popup is to be implemented in an accessory view:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/XHIGWindows.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-SW47

It seems to me that *each* of the formats in the popup is going to have its *own* list of valid file extensions, so that changing the selected item in the popup should make a corresponding change to NSSavePanel's allowedFileTypes.

I can sort of see my way to doing that by subclassing a NSViewController that owns the accessory view, and making the view controller responsible for calling allowedFileTypes when the popup selection changes, but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking a more direct solution.

I'm also wondering if changing allowedFileTypes while the Save dialog is displayed will actually work. (Will it replace the extension of whatever is currently in the file name text field?)

Comments, anyone?