On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:10 AM, WT wrote:

On Apr 25, 2009, at 6:47 PM, David Scheidt wrote:

I've got a sub-class of NSTableView. I have windows that have more than one instance of this TableView in them, which need to behave slightly differently, based on which one they are.

The way I understood his question, this is a problem of *identifying* instances. At some point or points in his code, he's got a pointer to an instance of his subclass of NSTableView and needs to be able to determine which of several instances that is. I still maintain that if these instances have different tag values then

My understanding wants to do this from a tableview subclass, though:

switch([self tag]) {
        case 1:
                return ...
        case 2:
                return ...
}

...so the tag is truly being used as a container for a property, which it doesn't sound like you intended? I don't think using tags from a controller class is a bad solution, although my own preference would be to have something like Jon/Mike/Jim suggested. Using the tag from the tableview subclass seems like a poor design, IMO, and not easy to maintain or extend.

--
Adam