On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:12 AM, WT wrote:

Perhaps it's time the OP clarified what exactly he had in mind.

Sure. I've got a window. (Actually, there are several windows, but they're all similar.) It's got a table view along the top. that table will always have instances of an entity, call it Foo. The bottom part of the window has details about the particular Foo that are selected in the top: a bunch of text fields, a graphic, and another tableView. The tableView is entities of another type that Foo has a to-many relationship with. There are actually two of these entities, call them Bar and Quox. The user only sees one of the tables at time, they're in a TabView. The idea is that tables representing Foo entities are to have their alternating row color be FooColor; tables representing Bar entities have the row BarColor; tables representing Quox, QuoxColor.

I'm setting the stripe color by overriding highlightSelectionInClipRect:. there's a case statement there

switch ([self tag]){

     case 0:  //catches the default IB Tag
        evenColor = uglyColor;
        break;
     case 1: // Foo Tables
        evenColor = FooColor;
        break;
    default:  // catches invalid tag in IB
       evenColor = uglyColor2;
   }
// drawing code follows ....

There are also secondary windows that allow the user to look at Bars and Quoxes. Their tableviews are done in BarColor or quoxColor.