I've been having 2 intermittent compilation errors
on 10.3.9 in
- (BOOL)loadDataRepresentation:(NSData*)data ofType:(NSString*)fileType
{
        BOOL success;
        NSString * lowercaseFileType = [fileType lowercaseString];
        NSLog(@"fileType=%S", lowercaseFileType);
        if ([lowercaseFileType isEqualToString:@"abc"])
        {
                JGOAbcParser * abcParser = [[JGOAbcParser alloc]
initFromAbcData:data];
                if (abcParser)
                        success = YES;
        }
        else if ([lowercaseFileType isEqualToString:@"defg"])
        {
                NSXMLParser * xmlParser = [[NSXMLParser alloc]
initWithData:data];
                [xmlParser setDelegate:JGOXMLParser];
                success = [xmlParser parse];
    }
    [...]
    return success;
}

The first is a warning where I try to log the file type,
grumping that the 2nd argument is not of the desired type.
(Converting it to lower case was an attempt to see whether
it would affect the warning, and at first I thought it did.
But, in any case, it makes the later if condition simpler.)

The second is
error: parse error before "JGOXMLParser"
and point to
[xmlParser setDelegate:JGOXMLParser];

I understand that – loadDataRepresentation:ofType:
method is valid in 10.3.9 but deprecated in 10.4
but I have to work with what I have.

Does the delegate have to be an instance?
If so, would I instantiate it right before setting the delegate?
The manuals and examples are not enlightening, since most simply
[fred setDelegate:self]

Do I have to implement all delegate methods?
I am under the impression it would check and revert to
defaults on ones that I did not.  Here are the declarations
of the ones I have, now:
- (void)parserDidStartDocument:(NSXMLParser*)parser;

- (void)parser:(NSXMLParser*)parser
    didStartElement:(NSString*)elementName
    namespaceURI:(NSString*)namespaceURI
    qualifiedName:(NSString*)qName
        attributes:(NSDictionary*)attributeDict;

- (void)parser:(NSXMLParser*)parser foundCharacters:(NSString*)string;

- (void)parserDidEndDocument:(NSXMLParser*)parser;

And, finally, what is that namespaceURI parameter?
The descriptions are non-descriptive to me.
Is that supposed to be a URI to a DTD or XML schema,
or something completely different?  Since it's not
doing validation, I was hoping to dispense with a DTD
or schema, for now, and just pick and choose what tags
to process.

manuals, etc., consulted:
_Event-Driven XML Programming Guide for Cocoa_
_Application Architecture Overview_
_Document-Based Applications Overview_
_NSDocument Class Reference_
Aaron Hillegass 2002 _Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X_
http://www.w3schools.com/