This is how I have this implemented at the moment (thoughts?) However I'm
not really seeing an animation to the selected state, it just kind of
happens

- (void)onTimer:(NSTimer *)timer {

[[[timer userInfo] objectForKey:@"table"] deselectRowAtIndexPath:[[timer
userInfo] objectForKey:@"indexPath"] animated:YES];

}

- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView
didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath {

 UITableViewCell *newCell = [tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:indexPath];

 [newCell setSelected:YES animated:YES];

 NSMutableDictionary *myDictionary = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];

[myDictionary setObject:tableView forKey:@"table"];

[myDictionary setObject:indexPath forKey:@"indexPath"];

[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.5 target:self
selector:@selector(onTimer:)
userInfo:myDictionary repeats:NO];

 }

--