On May 27, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Graham Cox wrote:

I'm getting this in the log when I open the "Customize Toolbar" sheet:

-[NSConcreteAttributedString initWithString:] called with nil string argument. This has undefined behavior and will raise an exception in post-Leopard linked apps. This warning is displayed only once.

Is this a bug in the frameworks or in my code?

Probably your code. Presumably Apple has tried to eliminate all instances of this bug in their own code.

I tried setting a symbolic breakpoint on this but it doesn't fire at all, though if it did I'm not sure how I'd make it conditional on the string being nil as there are no debugging symbols.

You could test the location on the stack which holds the parameter. On x86, that's:

        *(id*)($ebp + 16)

You can also use DTrace:

sudo dtrace -n 'objc$target:NS*AttributedString:initWithString?:entry / arg2==0/ {ustack();}' -p <pid>

(arg0 is 'self', arg1 is '_cmd', so arg2 is the first non-hidden method parameter.)

Cheers,
Ken