On Jun 8, 2009, at 5:41 AM, Arun wrote:

I have an application in which i use NSOpenPanel to select the files.
If i login as a root user (System Administrator) and then choose the desktop
in NSOpenPanel of my application, then i will get /var/root/Desktop.
I need a way that will help me in resolving the path as
/private/var/root/Desktop from the OpenPanel.

I was going to suggest -[NSString stringByResolvingSymlinksInPath] or - [NSString stringByStandardizingPath], but both of those are documented as deliberately stripping a "/private" prefix if doing so leaves a valid path. So, it seems that Apple's idea of a standard path prefers "/var/..." to "/private/var/...". You might consider adhering to their standard. In fact, I expect that NSOpenPanel is already using one of the above methods behind the scenes, which is why you're getting what you're getting.

If you really feel you have to resolve the symlink, you might try the realpath() function of the POSIX API. You'll have to translate to "file-system representation" and back, using -[NSString fileSystemRepresentation] and -[NSFileManager stringWithFileSystemRepresentation:length:].

Regards,
Ken