Thanks for all the good information here. It's helping a lot.
My data is largely static, if it does change it all changes, so if I save references to all my wrappers, I can just dump the lot and start over if there are changes. I'll probably create them on an 'as required' basis to prevent a bump at startup. I think this should all be pretty simple, as you indicated with your 'cheap lunch' comment.

I'm still not clear on the first point thgough.

What is "File's Owner"? Whatever object that is, add IBOutlets to it and wire them to the objects of interest in the nib. The outlets are just ordinary ivars to the object that is "File's Owner".

'File's Owner' seems to be an instance of NSApplication. I cant add an IBOutlet to this class, and when I subclass it, I find I cant instatiate(sp) the subclass. I'm stumbling in the dark a bit here.
<later>
I just tried adding these outlets to my UIController class (this class just needs to be visible where nesesary right?), made the nesesary code changes ... and it seems to be working. It's late so I'll thrash on this more tomorrow and make sure it's not some silly mistake ... but here's hoping.

Big thanks to all who chipped in, I hope I dont have to bother you again tomorrow.

paulm