Why is the privileged process asking Spotlight for anything?  Try to
factor as much code as possible out of your privileged tool.

This is the root tool that powers the Mozy backup product. One of the features is that users can specify queries to determine which files to back up. However, it needs to find all files across the system, and not just the users files. Hence, our backup utility has to run as root. Part of our query stuff needs to have access to the list of spotlight attributes for optimization reasons.

You can pass it in from the UI process, then. Like Kyle was alluding to, the tool should do as little as possible with privilege. If all you really need privileges for is file enumeration and copying, then that’s all you should do. You can use IPC to filter in the main process with the full complement of libraries available to you.