On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Dave DeLong<davedel...@me.com> wrote:
> So, how can a root program get a complete list of Spotlight attributes?

I don't think this is quite the question you want to ask.

1) As I mentioned before, the root program shouldn't need a list of
Spotlight attributes.
2) Do you really want to be using Spotlight for this?  Spotlight won't
find anything on removable media (except attached hard disks) or
anything the user doesn't want Spotlight to index.
3) What about users who use FileVault, or perhaps store their
sensitive information on an encrypted disk image?  I'm required to
store my company's source code on an encrypted image on my laptop.

As a producer of backup software, I'm sure that you would prefer your
software to err on the side of over- rather than under-protection.
Hard drive space is cheap; lost data is invaluable.  I'd suggest
seriously reconsidering your use of Spotlight for this task.  All it
takes is one misplaced mdimporter and the user isn't backing up files
they think they are.

Don't forget, there's always the mdimport(1) tool that you can use to
play around with Spotlight.  Which is coincidentally why I could never
use this feature of your product: we ship Spotlight importers as part
of our products, and part of the development process involves blowing
away the metadata store and ensuring that our importers are still able
to import all the data.

--Kyle Sluder