Hi Greg!

Thanks for writing back.

On Jun 18, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Greg Guerin wrote:
Is there a way to add a tag an IB object in such a way that it is not visible to the user, but in such a way that I could reference it from my app?
Maybe the -tag method: it returns a 32-bit integer.. It's settable in IB as the control's tag value. I don't know if iPhone has it.

Since it's only 32-bits I don't know how useful it would be for your intended purpose. But IB has no inherent use for it, and it is readable from the app.

It *would* be useful, but IB doesn't let you set it to a string in Cocoa. It's limited to numeric values, which makes it less useful for humans.

For a bit of perspective, this is doable in *CARBON* apps, via the 'Command' attribute in Interface Builder. You can only use 4 characters, but it's damned useful. It's commonly used to create interfaces that don't require hard linkage between the code and the view. Somewhat ironically, despite that MVC is the law of the land in Cocoa, this option is not available to Cocoa apps.

I was sure I was mistaken about this! Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
-Chilton