Being relatively new to Cocoa and Objective-C, what is the consensus on using the new version 2.0 managed memory features (garbage collection).

If you were writing a new Cocoa application from scratch, would garbage collection be the preferred method over the reference counting (retain/release) method. Having spent years in Java I would prefer a GC'd approach but I have also seen the great improvement of GC in Java over the years. Therefore, I am also curious on how the new Objective- C design for GC compares.

The applications I have in mind are mostly graphic (Quartz 2D) oriented and likely also some OpenGL work.

Thanks for your opinions and comments.

phil