On 23/06/2009, at 2:21 PM, Michael Ash wrote:

Retain/release has a long history, is very well understood, and
doesn't really require much mental (or typing) overhead once you know
it. With GC you're much more like a test pilot at this stage in the
game, especially since there are a lot of frameworks deficiencies
under GC which are known to Apple but which they haven't actually put
into the documentation. (List archives are your friend here.) GC has
more risk and potentially more reward. If you can aim for 10.6+, the
risk/reward ratio is probably going to be quite a bit lower, although
that's just speculation. Obviously the ultimate choice is yours.

So far I haven't used GC, and find retain/release simple enough that it's almost a no-brainer. Maybe this reflects my background coming from C++ where, unless you wrote something similar yourself, there was no memory management beyond new/delete, so retain/release/autorelease represents a pretty useful step forward. Maybe it's becoming old skool by now, but for me, I find very little incentive to move to GC at present.

--Graham