On 24/06/2009, at 11:20 AM, WT wrote:

On 24/06/2009, at 4:02 AM, Anders Lassen wrote:

The font descent is the maximum descent for all characters in that font, so it will not help me to position the character correct.

You know, I have no clue if this is going to help or not, because I have no experience whatsoever with typesetting systems (other than using them), but have you considered looking at the source code for TeX/LaTeX front-ends? I would suspect that they have to deal with the very issue you're dealing with. One of the best TeX front-ends for the Mac is TeXShop and it's open-source, so you should be able to peruse its source. You might also want to contact some of its developers and code contributors.

source:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshopsource.zip

contributors:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/extras.html

Going further, since TeX can layout formulae, you could incorporate the code or call it to handle the task, then just display the result.

--Graham