On Jun 25, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

That may be the theory, Apple's ObjC collector does *not* trigger on
allocation errors (at least not reliably or sufficiently, and as such
it is possible to outrun the collector by creating a large number of
objects in a tight loop.

Well, as far as I'm concerned that's a bug then, and a somewhat silly one at that. There should be no reason they couldn't easily address that scenario, simply by using the thread attempting to do the allocation to run the collection code (with the usual synchronization/ execution management that you'd need in any collection/compaction scenario).

But then, that just reinforces the point that the Obj-C/Cocoa garbage collection implementation has some refinement left to accomplish. I'm glad to hear there've been bugs submitted on the issue; I expect Apple will address them eventually. Until they do, people who say that GC- managed memory in Cocoa isn't quite fully baked yet will actually have a good point. ;)

Pete