From: Adam R. Maxwell <amaxw...@mac.com>
To: cocoa-dev Dev <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Sent: Friday, 26 June, 2009 1:32:51 PM
Subject: Re: GC pros and cons

On Jun 25, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Chris Idou wrote:

> I still use XCode in one location where I work on a core-solo Mini.
> Performance is good. No problems at all, no pauses.

Interesting.  I found the Xcode editor to be unusably slow on a PowerBook G4
when Leopard was released; in fact, contrary to Bill's statement, I found that
it grew worse in the last few months of Leopard seeding.  I'm still sore about
having to buy a MacBook Pro just to avoid beachballs while typing
(rdar://problem/5572897).  Even said MacBook Pro needs 4 GB of RAM to avoid
hanging when switching to Xcode, since the collector thread evidently causes
paging in to scan memory (which caused a beachball and hiccups switching apps
in Spaces).