On Jun 26, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Michael Domino wrote:

My app does some processing at quit time that can take a few minutes, so I thought it would be nice to remove the gui from the user’s attention so they don’t think they can still interact with the program just because there is a window and a menu visible. So, I hide the main window and the menubar. Then, I bring Finder to the front. The only thing left is the application’s icon in the command- tab list and the Dock, and the entry in the Force Quit Applications list.

Is there a way to remove these items?

No, because this is not appropriate behavior. If your app is still running (ie, it's still doing some post-processing), then it still needs to be visible.

Consider ordering out the main window and putting up some sort of progress indicator that lets the user know that quitting will be delayed.

Of course the best option is not to cause a potentially minutes- long delay after the user instructs your app to quit. From a usability standpoint, this is a major detractor from your current design and you should see if there's a way to do some of this processing on the fly or providing a way to save the unprocessed state and let your user decide:

"There are unprocessed items. Do you want to process these items or quit immediately?"
"Finish Processing, Quit, Cancel"

--
I.S.