Michael Dautermann wrote:

Is this work you could do with a non-GUI tool that launches as the app quits? Unix style tools or apps (the kind one can launch from the Terminal command line) don't have dock icons nor do they appear in the command-tab list. You'd still have other potential issues to worry about (like if your user restarts your main app while the previously-quit tasks are running, or what happens if multiple quitting tasks are going).

If it were me, I'd try to avoid anything that delays quitting (because that could delay a shutdown or reboot, severely annoying your customer).

Running a non-GUI tool will also delay a shutdown or reboot, so it doesn't really solve anything in this case. Either the original app has to run to completion, or the non-GUI tool has to run to completion, and either way takes the same amount of elapsed time.

To the OP: please explain the context in more detail. It would help to know what this essential several-minute task actually is, and why it must run at quit time. It would also help to know if the task is fundamentally uninterruptible/atomic (must always run to completion once started).

  -- GG