On Jul 3, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Brian Slick wrote:

So, if TaggedLocations was flying while mine was sucking, I'd probably concede that what I was doing was wrong (and would probably need more custom cells). But since neither one is performing very well, and I can't find any significant differences between them, I'm thinking there is either a flaw with this approach, or my trusty 1st- gen just isn't bringing enough horsepower to handle it.

The only time you should see a performance hit with this approach is when the cells are first loaded; once they're loaded (and cached), performance should be identical whether you code the cell programmatically or use a nib file. *Without looking at any performance metrics* (I don't have a device to hand), I'd *guess* the issue is likely to be with transparency. Try switching off transparency wherever you can find it and see if that helps. If you can exactly recreate your hand-coded cell in IB, it would be interesting to see what the performance comparison is like.

I did make a slight adjustment to the technique - most significantly the omitting of the identifier in the XIB file,

This is actually a very significant factor.
If you haven't set an identifier, it's not clear how you're retrieving cached cells in tableView:cellForRowAtIndexPath:?

I assume you have a test along the lines of:

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
    if (cell == nil) {
        cell = ...

Could you check whether you're creating a new cell each time?

All this aside, please file a performance bug against the TaggedLocations sample.

mmalc