On Jul 6, 2009, at 11:38 AM, DKJ wrote:

I want to terminate my UIApplication under some specific error conditions. I'm used to doing this kind of thing using:
        [[NSApplication sharedApplication] terminate];
But docs don't show a terminate method for UIApplication. Apparently it will respond to the message regardless; however, I'm very wary of using it if neither the compiler nor the docs mention it.
What should I do with UIApplication in these circumstances?
(exit(0) seems a bit extreme.)

Typically you should not offer an option to quit an iPhone application. It's up to the user to decide when they want to quit by pressing the Home button.

This is a convenient time to mention the use of exit() in the Core Data application templates for iPhone.

In defiance of the preceding comment, the templates use exit() precisely to indicate that you should do something at that point. If, for example, your application can't load the persistent store, then realistically your application cannot continue. If it does, then the user may or may not be able to use parts of the application, but whatever data they add or can edit will be lost, and the application will eventually fail in an odd way...

So you should present an alert at that point, telling the user that the application cannot be used and that they should quit.

mmalc