Thanks for the input. SDL is actually a simplified interface to OpenGL so I'm wanting to integrate an already made SDL game into a Cocoa front-end. I think handbrake and ffmpegx are trying to create a front- end for the command line tools where I'm trying to integrate an actual view. Do you still think these apps are a good starting point?