Thank you Roland.

Actually, I tried that function...but there is a problem that I can't figure out.
the following is my code segment...

ABAddressBookRef addressBook=ABAddressBookCreate();
CFArrayRef grpval= ABAddressBookCopyArrayOfAllGroups(addressBook);
CFIndex groupCount = ABAddressBookGetGroupCount(addressBook);
CFRange range = CFRangeMake(0, 1);
NSArray *convertedArray = (NSArray *)grpval;
if (CFArrayContainsValue(grpval, range, @"Dangle Three"))
{
        NSLog(@"Yes, it contains the group");
}
NSLog(@"tthe group count is %d", groupCount);
NSLog(@"the group name is %@", (NSString *)CFArrayGetValueAtIndex(grpval, 0)); NSLog(@"The converted group is nsarray %@", [convertedArray objectAtIndex:0]);

the output i get from the NSLog statements are:

2009-07-13 14:29:08.686 KSOne[7520:20b] tthe group count is 1
2009-07-13 14:29:08.687 KSOne[7520:20b] the group name is <NSCFType: 0x119e1a0> 2009-07-13 14:29:08.688 KSOne[7520:20b] The converted group is nsarray <NSCFType: 0x119e1a0>

For some reason, the toll-free bridging doesn't work.
although i can get the count of the group array of 1 correctly,
the actual group name remains illusive to me :(

any ideas?
what's "NSCFType"?
what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance...