In addition to the previous post from Mr Quincey Morris, I received the following from Aaron:

Hi Chris,

I'm having troubles posting to the list so this is a private response, but feel free to use any of this email on-list if you want to.

I haven't read your entire email, but the impression I got from what I skimmed through sounds like you should at least make yourself familiar with the NSArrayController. It has set of content objects (e.g., your objects managed by the managed object context) and allows you to apply a filter to "narrow down" the list of objects (I suggest you use the term "filtered", IMHO). You can also supply sort descriptors to the array controller. The result of filtering and sorting the content objects is the arranged objects. The arranged objects could be read and acted on, or supplied as the content to another array controller, if needed.

So, to put it into context of a GUI, you could give an array controller a set of managed objects, connect a search field to the filter property, and connect an NSTableView to the arrangedObjects to show the result. The table view can supply sort descriptors to the array controller.

If the array controller class isn't exactly what you need, it may at least give you some ideas on how to cleanly design what you need. For example, maybe you need more complex filtering, so you might have a utility window with text fields, check boxes, etc, that go into building an appropriate predicate to filter your objects.

BTW, I've read two of Quincy's replies, too, and I agree with his suggestions. Also, I suggest playing with some examples or creating your own outside of your main project. In the long run, it is much easier to try out concepts in isolation, and you will be less frustrated overall.

HTH,

Aaron

I wanted to thank both of you for putting thought and effort into providing me with valuable guidance and advice. You are both very right in that I am trying to cross the boundaries between the Model and the View, which would ruin all the hard work I have put into doing things "right". I will now take a step back and reevaluate my options. Step one will be to try and learn a bit more about core data, and I will be creating a few smaller, simpler apps to test things out. In addition I will be working through some tutorials to see if I can see any solutions to my issues. If that does not pan out, then I will start looking at pure database based solutions.

Some initial investigation on that side brought me to:
http://code.google.com/p/entropydb/
The ability to store objective-c objects in an sqlite db might be just up my alley; or alternatively I can do it the good old fashion way and do all the work myself ;)

Additional comments or advice is always welcome!