On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:13 PM, David Blanton wrote:

I have searched the list archives and Google to no avail in trying to determine how the Kind value shown in the Finder is set.

My initial thought was that the UTTypeDescription entry under UTExportedTypesDeclarations in the info.plist for a QuickLook Generator was the answer as the docs say this is a user viewable entry. But no, the Kind entry shows Plain Text.

For the file in question, is the file extension or file type code unique to your app? If other apps also describe the file type, then their kind string might be used in preference to yours.

Before the advent of UTIs, the kind string was determined by the CFBundleTypeName value in an element of the CFBundleDocumentTypes array. If both are present, I don't know which takes precedence.

Lastly, does a QuickLook Generator really "export" types, or should it be treated as only importing them?

Regards,
Ken