Michael Hoy wrote:

I know it doesn't support NSAttributedString. However, CFAttributedStringRef is supported. (That's why I'm using it.) The documentation reads:

"iPhone OS Note: While Core Foundation on iPhone OS contains CFAttributedString, there are no additions to the APIs in UIKit to add specific attributes such as font, style, or color, and there are no APIs to draw attributed strings."

My question is about casting CFAttributedStringRef to id, which appears not to work in certain circumstances. For example, adding an (id)CFAttributedStringRef to an NSMutableArray appears to work fine... CFGetRetainCount() reports an increase and decrease in the retain count after adding/removing.

Wrap CFAttributedStringRef (or CFMutableAttributedStringRef) in a class of your own making. Then you can be sure it will autorelease correctly.

All it would need is a ref method/property that returns CFAttributedStringRef (or CFMutableAttributedStringRef), and a dealloc to call the appropriate CF function on the ref. This seems almost trivial to write, and would probably take less time than it took to create the example showing the failure.

  -- GG