Jay Reynolds Freeman wrote:

Precisely! And what I am wishing for is a way to specify a window whose
"existing color" is "transparent", so that the bitmap created will in
essence have (red, green, blue, alpha) = (0, 0, 0, 0), in locations
not otherwise explicitly drawn. If such a window appeared on the visible part of the screen, there would clearly be problems -- there is no way to draw "transparent" with nothing behind it. But for setting up offscreen windows for the capture of bitmaps that include transparent areas, such
a feature would be very useful, and I would like it to be at the
window-and-view-hierarchy level of abstraction, because that is easier to
use, particularly for ignorant beginners like me, than the compositing
level that underlies it.

Maybe you're having trouble with transparency (i.e. alpha) because some of your view hierarchy is opaque.

Another possibility is that somehow the backing-store image you're drawing into doesn't support alpha, so any alpha actually rendered into its pixels is lost, leaving only a solid black color.

Or perhaps you're not initializing the backing-store image with the correct color that has alpha=0. You should be able to paint a solid (i.e. opaque) rectangle of rgba=0:0:0:0 and have it set every pixel in the backing-store to that value. Subsequent elements drawn on top of that initial "base color" would then combine using the given compositing operation and the source and dest images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing

I also don't think you've posted the actual working code, so you could be making a simple mistake in how the backing store is initialized, how it's prepared for rendering, what compositing operation is used, or something like that. If it's too complicated to post your current code, you should make a well-isolated example that demonstrates the problem, and post the URL for it (or if small enough, post the source).

Without seeing actual code, I don't think much progress is going to be made.

  -- GG