Well, with great thanks to everybody, I think I now have a relatively clean implementation that does what I want. There was enough interest that I think I will present what I have done, but in order not to waste bandwidth here I have put on my website both the interface and implementation files for "BadgedIconView", and a screen shot which shows (near right bottom, in the dock), some of the badged icons thereby created. (I will remove those files in a while; if you stumble on this message after they are gone and would like to see them, send me EMail.)

The implementation is a subclass of NSView suitable for passing to - [NSDockTile setContentView:] for the application dock tile, to be followed up with sending "display" thereto.

I believe that if you mouse these links, the .h and .m files will download but the .png will pop up in your browser.

http://web.mac.com/Jay_Reynolds_Freeman/BadgedIconView.h
http://web.mac.com/Jay_Reynolds_Freeman/BadgedIconView.m
http://web.mac.com/Jay_Reynolds_Freeman/WSTrueColors.png

Thanks once again to all. Any remaining mistakes or clumsiness in the implementation are of course nobody's fault but mine.

--  Jay Reynolds Freeman