I've been reading docs and looking at IconCollection for the last week and I
still can't really figure this out.
Here's the behavior I want to model: pretend I'm making poker dice game. I
have a visual representation of the dice, and I want to select a certain
number of them each round.

Right now I'm using NSCollectionView with a prototype view that has a text
field (for a representation of the dice) and a button (for toggling
selection). Eventually I'll just use an image representation, but I'm just
trying to get this to work now.

When the user clicks the button in a view, the corresponding die will be
added into a "diceinhand" array in my AppController.
I can't figure out how, though, to connect the button in a way that
allows the AppController to understand which die has been selected
-- that is, I can't find any way to pass the representedObject associated
with my replicated view to any controller (but perhaps I'm thinking about
that incorrectly).

1. Can I call a selector on the representedObject itself from the view?
Where would I set that up that programmatically (I'm assuming you can't do
that with IB)?
2. Do I abandon the "selection buttons" and try and use the selection code
of NSCollectionView? Does that mean the user needs to shift-click to select
multiple dice? Do I programmatically bind the DiceInHand array in my
AppController to the selectedObjects key of my array controller or do I need
another array controller to manage that?

I'm happy to read docs, it just seems that everything I've been reading
deals mostly with binding values in a prototype view.

Thank you,
Andrew