On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:

If you don't believe Carbon use the BSD API, just do a simple File Manager based application, and check what append in Shark or other sampling software when you run it, or even better, use DTrace to check what syscall is used.

I just tried it with Shark, and it appears not to be using the standard BSD opendir and readdir APIs, but rather the proprietary to Apple (as far as I can tell) getdirentriesattr API, which actually does seem to have a man page now, which says that it doesn't work on all volume formats (which means that without further testing, I don't even know if it would work on non-HFS+ disks), so it's not a particularly good idea to use it.

Charles